Re: Masters Contest

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996 19:52:15 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>     All I know is that it's entitled 'Hymn at Sunrise' and that Ray himself
>describes it as 'quite traditional with tunes in it' including the Tallis
>ordinal 'Glory to Thee My God This Night'.
>     Ray also says 'More that anything I expect it to sort out the musicians
>from the technicians'.
>     Enough said....

We had a blast through it the other night and it sounds like a decent
piece. There are quite a few tricky moments too, before the usual crowd
start crying that it isn't hard enough. One or two parts are quite
exposed, but not in the same league as the likes of Mr Wilby (thank
goodness !)

Whilst we're talking about new music, someone posted an article about
why more established pieces are not used for contesting these days.
Personally, I like the idea of new commissions. Every band starts with
the same knowledge of the piece (usually !) and adjudicators have no
preconceived ideas about "how the piece should sound" having heard
recordings or other performances. As well as the fact that the limited
brass band repertoire is constantly being extended (the only way brass
banding will have a future, IMHO). However, a lot of good music never
sees the light of day after it's first use at a competition. This is
probably why the Masters has become such a popular competition so
quickly, striking a good balance between new and old(er) music. And
giving the bands a say in the choice of piece. I suppose it might also
have something to do with the fact that we can all go and have a few
drinks in the Brown Cow afterwards and moan about how "we was robbed !"

Just my two bob !

--
Richard Gosney
Sheffield, UK