Re: "High pitch"

Alistair Wheeler asks:

>Another question, when did army bands change to low pitch?

I've been looking in the book, "Brass Bands", edited by Trevor Herbert.
(I believe that list member Arnold Myers is a contributor), and on page
191 it states that British services military bands changed to low pitch
A=339Hz in 1929, and that the present standard, A440, was "AGREED
INTERNATIONALLY IN 1939."

A=339?, A=440 agreed internationally? The plot thickens!

By the way, "Brass Bands" is a great read for anyone interested in our
heritage. It's available from Egon, and published by the Open University.

Nigel Wears