National Contest in New Zealand

Here is some information about the next National Band Contest in New Zealand
(for all you people planning your overseas trips).

It will be held in Christchurch from Wed 29th May to Sunday 2nd June.
Test pieces:

	A Grade: English Heritage
	B Grade: Variations on a Ninth
	C Grade: Triptych

I know that contests vary from country to country so here is what happens
in New Zealand.  On Wednesday and Thursday are the solo and party events:
there is a Junior and Open contest for every instrument, also a championship
cornet event, also duets, quartets and ensembles.  This ends with Champion
of Champions on Thursday night.

On Friday and Saturday are the band events.  All bands in the A, B and C
grades play a test piece (above) plus a hymn (own choice) in the first session.
In the second session they play an own choice test. They also play in a street
march.  The D grades play an own choice hymn, an own choice test, and a
concert march.  Marching for them is optional.

On Sunday there is normally a quickstep test and a display but I have heard a
rumour that that has been dropped this year.  So I don't know what will happen
there.

There is only one National contest in New Zealand each year so it is the
focal point for most bands.  The standard can be quite high.

Anyone wanting more details can e-mail me directly on mcgregorm@xxxxxxxxxx
and I'll see what I can find out.

Margaret McGregor
Rotorua, New Zealand