Re: G trombones

On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Graham Hastings wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Feb 96 11:03:11 GMT, A Myers <am@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >One does not need to be an old age pensioner to remember fine G trombone
> >playing.  Our friend in Silkstone was playing for Brighouse and Rastrick
> >in the 1960s when, with Walter Hargreaves, they were still playing at
> >Old Philharmonic pitch and producing the traditional brass band sound.
>
> I remember seeing the International Staff Band of the Salvation Army
> in around 1969/70, the Bass trombone was playing a G trombone.  It was
> in use a lot longer than people think.

Indeed, you don't have to be an old age pensioner. I'm 18 and have
some old old records of old Salvation Army bands and I have a great
time listen to Gordon Young's (who in my opinion was a great G
Trombone player) playing G Trombone with the ISB, Hendon and Enfield
bands.  The G Trombone was a superb instrument but in the hands of
someone who didn't know what they doing it was lethal!!!!  However, I
think that in today's bands the Bass Trombone is more suited to the
'modern' Brass Band sound.