NORTH EAST RESULTS

Here are the results for the North of England Championships which
were held at the Dolphin Centre Last weekend :

4th Section

1st - Ovington Tynedale	     - 174
2nd - Barrow Concert Band	- 172
3rd - Murton Colliery		  - 171

3rd Section

1st -  The Cottingham Band	 - 182
2nd - The Harrogate Band	    - 180
3rd - Ferryhill Town		      - 179

2nd Section

( Sorry don't know points )

1st - Carlisle St. Stephen
2nd - Cockerton Prize Silver
3rd - Spennymoor Town

1st Section

( Sorry don't know points or 2nd + 3d )

1st - East Yorkshire Brass - Alan Exley

CHAMPIONSHIP

1st - E.Y.M.S		      - Robert Childs      - 192
2nd - British Steel Teeside    - Derek Broadbent - 190
3rd - Northumbroa Police      - Joh Hudson	- 188
4th - Newcastle Brown Ale    - Roger Payne      - 187
5th - Lingdale		       - Alan Boyer	 - 186
6th - Every Ready		 - Richard Evans    - 185
7th - Easington		     - David Binding     - 184
8th - Fishburn		       - Ian Robinson      -182
9th - Boldon			 - Stephen Malcolm - 180

There was a lot of debeate on the day, due to the results of the
championship section. A strange things happened when British Steel
Teeside played ( who came second ). The band drew first,and when they
started playing, it was very good, but when the sop player came to
play the small solo which he has, something was obviously wrong as it
sound terrible and out of tune. I later foud out that he had a cloths
peg stuck in the bell of his instrument. When the results were
announced, the adjudicator ( Mr. Roy Newsome ) commented on one
particular performance, and that a band had played well, apart from
this one error in the peformance ( which was the clothes peg in the
instrument ). The band were then awarded second place. The majority
of people who heeard the performance ( myself included ) wer
disgusted at the result. Roy Newsome said on the platfrom that he
knew somthing went wrong, but he is a box, and the sop player could
just have had a bad day - how was he to know that it was something
technical.
I would imagine that several bands are going to make complaints. I
would like to hear from anyone who has heard of similar events
happening at contests, and generally what people think of this.

On a different note, Fishburn ( last years champs. ) came 8th, and
Every Ready, who have qualified sine the begining of time, have not
this year. THey played a very musical performance. but there were
slips made. It seemed to me that the faster that you played the
piece, then the better your result was. Does anyone know what Roy
Newsome said at the North West Area about the speed of the piece.
E.Y.M.S played the piece very quickly, and it was by far the shortest
performce of the day. I had thescore in from of me, and they were
definatley a lot faster than the tempos stated.

All, in al a good day however, with some excellent music in all of
the sections.

Adrian Henry