Square Formation

In the early days of banding, it seems, a lot of bands used to stand in a
square formation, with the conductor in the middle. When did this cease to be
the case?  In the "British Bandsman Centenary Book" there is a picture of the
Ferndale Band bandroom in 1907, with such an arrangement of music stands.

Can any list members shed any light on this?  Was the square formation used
for rehearsals only? How did it come to be?  Was it ever used in contest? When
did it die out?  How was the band arranged around the square? Did they always
used to stand up to play?  How did they stand in concerts?

Also - going back to a recent thread, our friend Arnold Myers says that there
are maybe some bands around today still playing in high pitch.  If anyone
knows of one, please write in.  If we can't find any, let's find the last band
to move down!

Nigel Wears