Re: NORTH EAST RESULTS

Aidy wrote:

> CHAMPIONSHIP
>
> 1st - E.Y.M.S		      - Robert Childs      - 192
> 2nd - British Steel Teeside    - Derek Broadbent - 190
> 3rd - Northumbroa Police      - Joh Hudson	- 188
> 4th - Newcastle Brown Ale    - Roger Payne      - 187
> 5th - Lingdale		       - Alan Boyer	 - 186
> 6th - Every Ready		 - Richard Evans    - 185
> 7th - Easington		     - David Binding     - 184
> 8th - Fishburn		       - Ian Robinson      -182
> 9th - Boldon			 - Stephen Malcolm - 180
>
> There was a lot of debeate on the day, due to the results of the
> championship section. A strange things happened when British Steel
> Teeside played ( who came second ). The band drew first,and when they
> started playing, it was very good, but when the sop player came to
> play the small solo which he has, something was obviously wrong as it
> sound terrible and out of tune. I later foud out that he had a cloths
> peg stuck in the bell of his instrument. When the results were
> announced, the adjudicator ( Mr. Roy Newsome ) commented on one
> particular performance, and that a band had played well, apart from
> this one error in the peformance ( which was the clothes peg in the
> instrument ). The band were then awarded second place. The majority
> of people who heeard the performance ( myself included ) wer
> disgusted at the result. Roy Newsome said on the platfrom that he
> knew somthing went wrong, but he is a box, and the sop player could
> just have had a bad day - how was he to know that it was something
> technical.
> I would imagine that several bands are going to make complaints. I
> would like to hear from anyone who has heard of similar events
> happening at contests, and generally what people think of this.

Hi all,

Roy Newsome seems to have adjudicated a lot of the top section areas this
year. It can only be a good thing to use the same adjudicator for a lot
of the area contests as it should in theory lead to a uniform judging
with the adjudicator looking for the saame things in all of the areas.
As to wether Roy is the right person to do the job, I saw both the
Midlands and North West contests, I think the results at the midlands
were quite good and about the same as most peoples opinion. The North
West in my view was absolutely spot on, I think I agreed with about the
top 8 places. Also the speach given at the end was excellent, he said
that one speed may work for one band but not for another, this sounds to
me like someone listening to the band playing rather than listening to
see if the band plays it how you would do it, the first things that
should decide a result are things such as ensemble, tuning, quality of
sound, then when you have two similar bands it starts to come down to if
you like the way the piece is played. The worst thing for me is that you
spend weeks rehersing a piece then play it exactly as you want it and
don't get the result because the adjudicator didn't like how fast or
slow you played the piece, it can be very soul destroying.

--
Phil Sturdy				       Email - pas@xxxxxxxxx
Engineering Technology