Re: Brass Bands in the U.S.A.???

>The only band in the US currently advertising a vacancy is in Michigan. Perhaps
>as well as a 'situations vacant' service I could also have a 'situations wanted'
>list. Comments?

Nigel, that might be a great idea. The only hangup for those of us in the
U.S., as I see it, is knowing about your list. Have you posted to the
brasslist, trombonelist, trumpet...etc. to let their members know of your
existence? I assume you have those addresses; I will send them otherwise.

I've enjoyed your postings. I'm the co-founder/co-leader of an historical
re-creation brass band based on the little-known bands of the California
gold rush, ca. 1849-1890, the California Gold Rush Band. We're professional
musicians and teachers all, and try and make the band go in addition to
making a living playing in other venues. We play on period instruments; it's
fun trying to control the old beasts. Our instrumentation, based on a photo
of the Columbia, California brass band from the early 1880s, is: 2 Eb cornets,
2 Bb cornets, 2 Eb altos (one valve trombone and one solo cornet), 2 Bb tenor
horns, 2 Eb basses, and rope tension drums (snare and bass). I haven't
posted anything on your list because this is nothing like what you
represent, but I enjoy reading about the traditional British bands--and
listening to them, of course.

We've done several festivals, a Custer's Last Stand reenactment, several
university concerts, and a recording on CD and tape of U.S.
Cavalry-related music of the 1850s-60s. We have a lot of fun with the old
instruments, including a recent addition: a Distin London  Eb cornet. One
of our members is Robb Stewart, a renowned restorer and re-creator of
antique brass. We are moving slowly because of the othere things we have
to do (one of our tenor/bass/arrangers is a busy Hollywood recording
artist, Bill Reichenbach), but we certainly have fun with it.

I appreciate your informative list and look forward to much more.

   ...Les

--
    Les Benedict in Los Angeles
      at <AG799@xxxxxxxx>