Re: Banding 'round the world

At 11:49 AM 3/30/96 EST, Stephen Frey wrote:

>    I must pose a few questions about brass bands because I am unsure ab
>about what a section number is?  I assume that it has something to do
>with the level of competition that the band participates in, but I am
>unsure.

I too would like to know more about how brass band associations and
competitions are organised in different countries. We have State
Associations which are independent except when the National Championships
are held, when the host State organization administers the competition.
Grades are D grade (lowest) to A grade (highest). State competitions are
bands only, requiring hymn, test piece and own choice selections;
championship points are drawn from these three with various weightings.
National competitions require each band to play hymn, set test, contest
march and own-choice test. There are also solo and group competitions organised.

Philip Anderton
Warringah Concert Brass Band,
Sydney, Australia.