Failed Delivery

To: BandsmanAren@xxxxxxxxxx

I've posted this to the list because your postmaster doesn't
recognise this address

>Excuse me for over-reacting, but if I was a black kid on the streets
>of Detroit, I would feel as though I was meeting Michael Jordan!  What
>a privilege.   My name is John S. Aren (formerly Uren of Cornwall
>descent).   I have been very active in the explosive growth of the
>N.A.B.B.A. movement for the past five years.    I have won prizes in
>both solo competitions and the Illinois Brass Band has taken prizes
>two years running.  My strength in the arena is in the concept of
>sound.  As a Salvationist I worked under Ball, Condon, R,S.A... etc. I
>grew up sitting between the Pinkertons, Longs, Palmers of Scotland
>here in the Detroit Citadel Band.  Presently I am founding the Motor
>City Brass Band and I am overwhelmed by the enthusiam of the new found
>players.   They are doing well.   I am struggling with the instrument
>issue.  I have tried to be faithful to Boosey/Besson but a) their
>business here in the states is aweful and b) I find myself to be much
>more accurate on different horns.  I am not practicing an hour a day
>as the business of the band keeps me quite busy and feel as though  I
>am ready to cash in the sovereign and order the new Yamaha designed
>with the help of the B.N.F.L. fellow (?).   Is it just a matter of
>practicing more or would you grant some attention toward other
>(non-English) instruments?  I would be honored by your response.

Thanks for the mail. I only received it today. I personally prefer
the Sovereign. I think that the quality of sound and intonation over
the full range of the instrument are better than most. However, the
Yamaha is easier to blow and there are several good players in the UK
who use Yamaha horns, most notably Andy Armstrong at Grimethorpe. The
problem with the Tenor Horn is that it is a difficult instrument to
play well. As with most brass instruments it's easy to get a simple
melody  out of. However  to carry a tune  with a good sound and secure
intonation is hard. Then there's the question of what sound to make.
In a good band Horn players need to be adaptable. We need to sound
like Baritones/ Euphs, large Cornets, Trombones, French Horns, jazz
flugal horn and of course traditional Tenor Horns, all different
sounds and styles. I find that the Sov. is more responsive than the
Yamaha and that I can get all these colours with a bit of practice.

Personal preferences matter a lot and I know that Yamaha have been
working hard to develop a Horn that can compete with Sovereigns. Try
out as many as you can and go for the one you feel most comfortable
with. I have heard that the Courtois Horns are pretty good if you want
something that sounds like a French Horn. A guy from Boosey came to
see me about a month ago because I think they are finally thinking of
fitting triggers to selected Horns. If you are in agreement I will
 tell him your having trouble with the service and distribution in the
US and pass on you address.

Let me know how it turns out.

Regards

Leslie McCormack	       EMC Engineer
York EMC Services	     Department of Electronics
University of York		Tel: +44 (0) 1904 434440
Email lmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Fax: +44 (0) 1904 434434