Re: Square Formation

I'm still trying to find out about this!

Andy Wilson mentioned in his recent mailing that Harry Mortimer had something
to say about it in his "On Brass" book, and here it is:

(Page 12)
"Another point worth noting about those early years is that the band would
stand to play in a square with the conductor in the middle......."

"It was to be many years before this square formation was abandoned, and then
it was an Australian band who were to lead the way."

He mentions just before this that it was around the time that Fred Mortimer,
(His Father), was bandmaster/solo cornet with Hebden Bridge Band.

I wonder if any of our Australian members know anything about this?  Has
anyone got other info?  Did Salvation Army bands stand in a square? When did
it start to die out?  Who was the Australian band?

Nigel Wears