Australian Championships

Regarding the Australian Nationals Mark Corben wrote:
>      Hello All,
>   I hope everyone is enjoying Easter ???. Well the Australian
>Championships are over. The A grade was won, easily and most
>deservedly I might add by Fosters Ackland Band from New Zealand. My
>band Waratah Mayfield managed a third in the Hymn a second in the
>Test, Year of the Dragon, but didn't get it together in the Own Choice
>or on stage March, we ended up 5th overall, or Second of the
>Australian Bands, yeah that sounds better.

Full results for A and B Grade (marks were the sum of hymn/50, march /50,
test/200, test own choice/200)

A Grade:
Fosters Auckland Brass (NZ - Nigel Weeks)    - 484
Trust Bank Woolston (NZ - Ken Smith) - 465
TV New Zealand (NZ - David Chaulk) - 465
Willoughby City (NSW - Peter Walmsley)- 463
Waratah - Mayfield (NSW - Paul Cerezo) - 462
Greater Bendigo (VIC - Mark Ford) - 461
Hawthorn (VIC - Ken MacDonald) - 457
Midland Brick (WA - Eddie Martin) - 453
Brisbane Excelsior (QLD - Barrie Gott)  - 451
St Mary's (NSW - Ken Bradley) - 449
Footscray-Yarraville (VIC - Doug Trottman) - 445
Evening Post Onslow (NZ - Don Bly) - 441
Holroyd (NSW - Mark Strykowski) - 435

Remarks: Greater Bendigo are a non-metropolitan band competing for the first
time in A grade. A remarkable result for them. Hawthorn were naturally a
little disappointed, but that can happen to any incumbent champion, can't
it? Waratah-Mayfield were stunning, especially in Year of the Dragon, IMHO.
They too are based outside of the capital cities - all the more credit to them.

BGrade:
Glenorchy (TAS) - 439
Warrigal (VIC) - 434
Warringah (NSW) - 430

   We (Warringah) were very happy with our test and own choice (an audience
of mainly competing band members cheered us loudly after "Paganini"), but we
threw away the march, being exhausted after the own choice. Next time we
play the march first! The important thing is we were very happy with our
improvement and we'll be back next time for sure. The adjudicator was most
complimentary to all bands and thought it was an excellent standard for B-grade.
  Phil Mc Cann played at a closing concert, along with Massed Bands
including the Sydney Congress Hall Band, under the baton of Ron Prussing,
who is also principal trombone in the Sydney Symphony orchestra. The venue
was pleasant, but the hall acoustics were dead, absolutely no reverb at all.

Phil Anderton, Sydney, Australia.