Re: Square Formation

At 09:45 PM 4/3/96, Nigel Wears wrote:

>(Page 12)
>"Another point worth noting about those early years is that the band would
>stand to play in a square with the conductor in the middle......."
>
>"It was to be many years before this square formation was abandoned, and then
>it was an Australian band who were to lead the way."

  I'm not at all certain, but it may have been the Newcastle Steelworks Band
which toured England and competed strongly in the 1930's. For those
interested in Brass Band history, the NSW Band Association and Australian
Band Council have published a nice historical booklet which it gave away
with programs at the recent Nationals. It contained articles from early and
recent years about Australian Brass Band history, with lots of interesting
photos (including yours truely and the Warringah Concert Brass Band on the
cover!)..
  I don't know whether they are for sale, but anyone interested might
contact the NSW Band Association Secretary, Mrs Elaine Markham, Band Assn of
NSW, 53 Amaroo Ave., Georges Hall, NSW 2198 Australia - snail mail only I'm
afraid.

Phil Anderton, Sydney