Re: Australian Championships

>BGrade:
>Glenorchy (TAS) - 439
>Warrigal (VIC) - 434
>Warringah (NSW) - 430
>
>   We (Warringah) were very happy with our test and own choice (an audience
>of mainly competing band members cheered us loudly after "Paganini"), but we
>threw away the march, being exhausted after the own choice. Next time we
>play the march first! The important thing is we were very happy with our
>improvement and we'll be back next time for sure. The adjudicator was most
>complimentary to all bands and thought it was an excellent standard for
>B-grade.
>  Phil Mc Cann played at a closing concert, along with Massed Bands
>including the Sydney Congress Hall Band, under the baton of Ron Prussing,
>who is also principal trombone in the Sydney Symphony orchestra. The venue
>was pleasant, but the hall acoustics were dead, absolutely no reverb at all.
>
>Phil Anderton, Sydney, Australia.

Hi Phil, and other enthusiasts

I play 1st Trombone, also with Warringah. True, Phil, we thought we did
such a great job on "Paganini" plus that rousing ovation, that anything
else was an anticlimax. We relaxed on our march, "French Military March",
lost our concentration and the contest. Let that be a lesson to us all!
Take nothing for granted.

We also initiated something unusual; the middle verse of the hymn,
Recessional", arranged by our Musical Director, Jack Saunders, had the men
singing the words.The adjudicator admitted that this took him completely by
suprise, though "they did sing very well". Nevertheless he didn't seem to
like the concept for he placed us last (out of three). Has any other band
out there in cyberspace ever performed in this manner?

Yes, the hall for the A grades had a rather flat acoustic, though
infinitely kinder to brass bands than the Sydney Town Hall that was used
the last time the Nationals were held in Sydney. That created an echoing
cacophony in which all detail was lost. Most memorable was the winning
performance by Fosters Auckland Brass of "New Jerusalem", and the gorgeous
tones of the solo cornet at the back of the hall.
"My God", I thought. "Philip McCann playing rather than adjudicating the music!"

I'll always remember the Gala Concert finale, "Procession to the Minster",
with the three massed bands on stage, and the Sydney Congress Hall Band
arrayed all the way down the isles of the hall. The last swelling climax of
sound literally sent shivers down my spine!

Darrall Cutting