BRIEF NABBA XIV Contest Summary

Results from The North American Brass Band Association Championships XIV, in
Dublin, Ohio, April 12-13.

Host Band: Brass Band of Columbus

Open Section (Test piece-Chorale and Tocatta, Stephen Bulla)
   1st-Woods Manufacturing Co., Ottowa, Canada

Youth Section (Test Piece-Music from Kantara, Kennith Downie)
   1st-Junior Varsity All Stars, Columbus, Ohio

Challenge Section (Test Piece-Chorale and Tocatta, Stephen Bulla)
   1st-Cincinatti Brass Band, Cincinatti, Ohio
   2nd-Varsity All-Stars, Columbus, Ohio

Honors Section (Test Piece-Diversions on a Bass Theme, George Lloyd)
   1st-The Dominion Brass Band
   3rd-All Star Brass and Percussion, Columbus, Ohio

Championship Section (Test Piece-Trittico, James Curnow)
   1st-The Brass Band of Illinois
   2nd-Brass Band of Columbus, Columbus, Ohio

NABBA '96 was an extraordinary year, featuring a record 19 bands (4 Open
Class, 1 Youth, 5 Challenge, 4 Honors, 5 Championship), 35 soloists, and
some teriffic performances. Each piece selected was challenging in its own
way, with many comparing Diversions on a Bass Theme to Trittico in terms
of difficulty.

Each band who performed has much to be proud of, especially bands like the
Motor City Brass Band, which formed not 2 months ago, and competed after
three rehearsals and 1 concert prior to the championships.

Also, after the awards ceremony, a teriffic gala concert was put on by the
Salvation Army USA Souther Territorial Band and the Brass Band of
Columbus. The gala concert was also staged as the Salvation Army's 11th
Annual "God and Country" Concert.

My personal congratulations to all bands who performed, everyone I heard
and saw was teriffic. I can't wait for next year, and I would encourage
all of those who are able to go to NABBA XV in 1997 (Minnesota, I believe).

Also-Full results and scores will be posted by Friday, the 19th of April.

Matt LaFontaine

Dublin Scioto HS Boy's Varsity Tennis Team
Dublin Scioto HS Marching Band '98 Bari.
All Star Brass Bands of Columbus Varsity Euph.
Performing at NABBA '96 in Dublin, Ohio