Re: audition literature

> Greetings!
>
> First of all congratulations to all participants and organizers in this
> year's NABBA. I'm saving my pennies to go to Redwing next year to listen.
>
> In the orchestral world, tuba players have stacks of standard excerpts that
> are used for auditions. I'm wondering what a BBb or EEb bass player would
> have to perform for an audition with one of the top British bands? Are
> there any standard excerpts or is it all player choice? And, if any of you
> really wanted to test a bass player, what would you have them play?

Hi Bob,
     The main difference between a brass band and other musical groups is that
there is usually no formal audition (ie before a panel) to join.  However, this
does not mean it is easy to join a band.  To join a top band, your reputation
has to precede you.  If you have been playing in lower bands for years, and have
built up a reputation as a good player, a band may approach you and ask you to
join them outright, simple as that.  Other bands may invite you to play in a few
rehearsals then let the band vote you in or out.  Also, it is very rare that you
will get a place in a band if the seat you want is already filled.  The
camaraderie in banding in Britain is very high, and with only 28 players in a
band, the band unit is like a group of friends.  Only very rarely will a top
band 'sack' a player, and even more rare is the situation where a player asks to
join a band, and a player is thrown out simply for that reason.  If a band is
successful, they will want to keep the personnel they have, because it takes
time for a player to get used to the bands style, and for the band to start
playing together as a whole, and when a band has achieved this balance, they
don't want to lose it.
As for playing material, all of the test pieces will have tricky bass parts.  In
particular, Philip Sparke's Partita, which includes a ridiculously high solo for
Eb bass.
Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.