42 Songs we should be Singing

(I apologize in advance for all non-USA people on the list for this slightly
chauvinistic article)

Presented for your comments, additions (or subtraction), or whatever
David Richoux <tubaman@xxxxxxxxxx
>From an Associated Press story by Deb Richmond

Headline: Music Teachers sing note of caution
42 songs vital to heritage are being forgotten, they say.

Who hasn't sung "I've Been Working on the Railroad" or tapped a foot to "Oh! Susanna"?
But what about "Simple Gifts?" Or "Music Alone Shall Live"?

They are all on a list of 42 tunes that a music educators' group says Americans must
continue singing, humming and strumming to preserve an important part of the national
culture.

"We have a whole generation that has grown up without singing songs like these - songs
that are part of our culture, part of who we are" said Will Schmid, president of the
90-year-old group representing 65,000 music educators nationwide.

People need to start singing again in neighborhoods, homes, churches, schools,
ballparks, Scout troops and summer camps, Schmid said in launching a nationwide "Get
America Singing...Again" campaign.

Former  Education Secretary Bill Bennett, a rock'n'roll fan, refrained from offering
his suggested favorites. "The list looks like a core curriculum of American music,"
Bennett said. "I would like to hear America singing.

The list, compiled by the Music Educators National Conference is as follows:

Amazing Grace
America (My Country, 'Tis of Thee)
America the Beautiful
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Blue Skies
Danny Boy
De Colores
Dona Nobis Pacem
Do-Re-Mi
Down by the Riverside
Frere Jacques
Give My Regards to Broadway
God Bless America
God Bless the USA
Green, Green Grass of Home
Havan Nagilah
He's  Got the Whole World in His Hands
Home On the Range
I've Been Working on the Railroad
If I Had a Hammer
Let  There Be Peace on Earth
Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing
Michael (Row the Boat Ashore)
Music Alone Shall Live
My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean
Oh! Susanna
Oh! What a Beautiful Morning
Over My Head
Puff the Magic Dragon
Rock-A-My Soul
Sakura
Shalom Chaverim
She'll Be Comin' Round  the Mountain
Shenandoah
Simple Gifts
Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child
The Star Spangled Banner
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
This Land Is  Your Land
This Little Light of  Mine