Re: 2nd Repiano Player

At 01:48 PM 4/21/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>On Black Dyke's Gregson CD (Vol 2.), I noticed that there were 2
>>repiano players.  I'm just wondering if that's a standard thing in BD
>>to have 2 rep players and does the band get anything out of it??
>I have been told that BDM carries about 40 members in their band because of
>their heavy schedule. Not every player can get off work etc to paticipate
>in every event. This is true in our band as well . The two rep players
>probably played on different pieces due to schedule problems. Some of
>Gregson's music is for Salvation Army scoring which uses no rep parts but
>has 1st cornet parts that require two players. It is possible that the
>"two' reps played the 1st cornet parts.

Graham,

That's correct, Army music doesn't have a rep part but does have the 1st
cornet part.  However, when we get "outside" music (i.e. non-Army) we have
to come up with 3rd cornet players.  We just simply demote everyone a rank
and let either a good 1st cornet player or a solo cornet player handle the
rep part.  So when Black Dyke (and other bands) use Army music, they would
need to find something for their 3rd cornet players to do, so they probably
just promote everyone up a step so the 3rd cornet player goes to 2nd, the
2nd to first and the rep to either first or solo.  Or they get the night
off.  So this still doesn't really answer why they need two rep players.
(Unless of course they really bulk up on the parts and have three on a part.)

Sorry to have only muddied the waters further!

Erik Pittock
epittock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx