Waverley Bondi Beach Band

Greetings from the Waverley Bondi Beach Band on the sunny east coast of
Australia.

We are looking for new players, so here is a bit of background information
for anyone who might be interested.  In particular this is aimed at people
who have moved to or are moving to Sydney from anywhere in the world where
brass bands play.

The WBBB was founded in 1956 by Cliff Goodchild while he was principal Tuba
player in the Sydney Symphony Orchestra.  Cliff has since retired from the
SSO but is still active in teaching, organising the elite Sydney Brass
(comprising top brass players from bands throughout Sydney) and of course
running the Waverley Bondi Beach Band.

Like most brass bands our repertoire ranges from classical (selections from
Verdi's Othello), Broadway musicals (42nd Street) and film music to folk
tune selections and traditional marches.

Highlights of our year include playing at the opening of the Sydney Film
Festival, and at foyer concerts before Sydney Symphony Orchestra concerts
at the Sydney Opera House.   The foyer concerts are a real highlight
because we are often joined by brass players from the SSO itself, lifting
everybody's playing and giving us a truly brilliant sound.

Cliff and the WBBB have always attracted good players, and under Cliff's
guidance everybody improves dramatically after a few weeks with the band.
Cliff's experience of music in general and understanding of brass in
particular means there is always something to be learned at rehearsals.

A side effect of this constant improvement is that many of our players grow
out of the brass band and become active as professional musicians.  There
are WBBB alumni in the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, various theatre
orchestras, the Navy Band, and in various academic establishments in Europe
and the USA.   This means that we are often looking for new members, and
this is one of those times.

We are looking for people who are not at present committed to any other
band.  We have most instruments available to loan to members if you are
without one at present.

The band's main rehearsal is on Friday nights, 7:30 to 9;00.  We also
practice on Sunday mornings, 10:30 to 12:00, unless we have a job that
weekend.  Our band rooms are at Bondi Beach Public School, Campbell Parade
(opposite the Pavilion).
If you are interested (or you know someone who may be) here is how to get
in touch:

e-mail:   J.Alexander@xxxxxxxxxxx

Snail mail:  The Waverley Bondi Beach Band
		   PO Box 189
		   Bondi Beach
		   NSW	  2026
		    Australia

Cliff Goodchild phone: (61) (2) 387 4247
		(mobile phone 015 279 466)

Jack Alexander
Baritone Horn
Waverley Bondi Beach Band