Grand Shield

Hello all,
     Firstly, a word of thanks for the kind responses I received following my
posting about audition techniques.  In it, my sole aim was to put forward the
style of thinking and the attitude towards banding in Britain.  That's just the
way the movement operates in this country, and if I have inspired any other
bands to approach their playing in a new way, then I'm happy!
     Secondly, the British Open is the oldest and most prestigious contest in
the British Banding calendar.  It is held in September each year, and 20 bands
compete in it.  Every year, an aggregate positions table of the last 3 years is
drawn up, and the bands which came 19th and 20th in this table have to leave the
Open.  They are replaced by the bands who come 1st and 2nd in the Grand Shield,
which is held each May before the Open each September.  22 bands compete in the
Grand Shield, and invitation is by special merits such as winning your Area
contest, or a good performance in last years Grand Shield.
     Our band have been invited to the Grand Shield again this year, it's in the
Albert Hall, Bolton, on May 11th.  The test piece is the superb 'Variations on a
Ninth' by Gilbert Vinter.  Is there anyone on the list who will be going either
as a competitor or a spectator?  Perhaps we could meet up for a drink?  (Not in
the Abercrombie, since it's now moved from The Free Trade Hall.  That pub will
go bust without the Shield and Open trade!!)

Best wishes,
Tim.
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.
French Open Champions 1995, Burtonwood Brewery Champions 1995.