Re: G Bass Trombones, Double-belled Euphoniums, and other plumbing

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Nigel Wears wrote:

> Dear Dr. Meredith,
> I was just looking through some old postings to the Brass Band list, and saw
> that it is today that your "Plumbing Factory" band makes its first
> appearence.
> Maybe you can tell us all about it - what is in the program?  What is the
> instrumentation?
> Please keep in touch!
> Nigel Wears

Dear Nigel:  I am happy to comply, but after the fact, as I was away for a
week performing with Hannaford Street Silver Band members in Toronto and
adjudicating a music festival in Brockville, and came back to all the
final preparations necessary for the concert.  Before I depart again for
2 and a half more weeks of band and soloist judging, I'll forward this
report to you and to the Brass Band list and TPIN.

Rehearsals had been a little sporadic latley, what with Easter and my being
out of town, etc., and the concert was actually the first time absolutely
everybody was able to be there (!).  The instrumentation of the group is:
11 cornets (trading off as to part, including Eb soprano, and
occasionally Flugelhorn), 1 Flugelhorn, 5 upright Eb horns, 1 baritone
with the 2 bass trombonists trading off as 2nd baritone, 1 euphonium, 4
trombones (1 usually playing baritone), 2 EEb basses, and BBb bass.  We
used no percussion this time around opting for just the glorious sound of
brass.  The PFBB members played magnificently and thrilled a large turnout
at St. Stephen's Memorial Church, if the immediate standing ovation at the
end of the last piece was any indication.  The programme for this first ever
performance of The Plumbing Factory Brass Band was as follows:

	A Suite of Marches for Brass -- arr. Denis Wright
		March on Two Old Welsh Airs -- Wright
		March from "Scipio" -- Handel
		March from "The Magic Flute" -- Mozart
		March -- Henry Purcell

	Hungarian [Rakoczy] March -- Berlioz (arr. Catelinet)

	Hungarian Dance No. 5 -- Brahms (arr. Langford)

	Entry of the Gladiators -- Fucik (arr. Langford)

	Brass Band On Parade -- Erik Leidzen

	Rule Britannia -- Hartmann (arr. D. Stephens)
		Heather Limon, cornet soloist

	The Blue Bells of Scotland -- Pryor (arr. Broadbent)
		Shelley Charlebois & Ben Perrier, trombonist soloists

	Cornet Carillon -- Ronald Binge
		David Cunningham, Greg Polci, David Parkes -- soloists

	National Emblem March -- Bagley (arr. Siebert)

	Sonata Pian' e Forte -- G. Gabrieli (arr. Twitchings)
		[one group in the balcony]

	William Tell Overture [complete transcription] -- Rossini (G. Hawkins)

[The programme had some obvious groupings that were very effective in
adding organized variety to the 90 minutes of music.  The conductor spoke
to the audience between selections.]

And yes, the G bass trombone and double-belled ephonium were used during,
but not throughout, the concert.  The audience and performers got
together for a cake and coffee reception afterwards, and about an hour
later, most of the PFBB members adjourned to Kelsey's across the street
for some "serious" refreshments, including several pitchers of dark ale.

Looking at the list of personnel on the programme reminds me of the
recent thread about women in brass bands.  Of the 26 members on this
the inaugural concert of the Plumbing Factory Brass Band, there are 8 women,
two of whom, as listed above, were featured soloists for the evening.
The band comprises some of southwestern Ontario's most gifted brass
players, all of whom play in the PFBB simply for the pure pleasure of
making beautiful music together, and of course for the comaraderie, and
the challenge.  Though our brief season is over until we reconvene next
September, stay tuned for repertoire including echo cornet solos (played
by yours truly) and perhaps some world premiere performances of new music
or arrangements.

Thanks for asking.  It was a momentous occasion, and a lot of fun for the
band (including their conductor!) and for the audience.

Henry Meredith, Director		<drhank@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Plumbing Factory Brass Band
London, Ontario  CANADA