Re: Material for young bands

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Nigel Wears wrote:

> William Dee recently asked me how I got on in my search for material for =
my
> junior school band.  I am grateful to the list members who pointed me in =
the
> direction of the Stuart Johnson band books, and since that time I've also
> found a good collection of very easy music called "Fun 4 Brass".  It's
> published by:
>
> Piccolo Press
> 10 Clifton Terrace
> Winchester
> SO22 5BJ
> UK
>
> It's all 4 part, (2 cornets, Horn, Euph), with a piano reduction at the b=
ottom
> of the score.  It cost around =A316 I think.  The children in the Newland=
> School Band enjoy it, and it is well within the scope of any learners gro=
up
> who can play a scale of C.  Each tune introduces something new, and the m=
elody
> gets passed around the group.
>
> Tunes include: Eudoxia, Twinkle Twinkle, All through the night, When the
> Saints, William Tell, Happy Birthday, U.S. Marine's Hymn......there are 1=
6
> tunes in all.
>
> (This is not intended to be an advert, but rather information for list me=
mbers
> who work in this area).
>
> Hope this helps someone.... If anyone has knowlege of other suitable mate=
rial,
> please keep us all posted!

I am a member of a Brass quintet that is doubled up on the parts in our
middle school.  we are all in our third year of brass playing.  The music=

we play is all out of three books.  They are all colections arranged by
Walter H. Barnes and Luther Henderson.  They are published under the name=

Canadian Brass.   We use thei 'A Canadian Brass Christmas', 'The Canadian=

Brass Book of Favorite Quintets' for the intermediate level and 'The
Canadian Brass Book of Advanced Quintets'.  We have found these books to
be superb and offer a wide variety and pass melody around constantly.
They offer a chance for every instrument to show off and be challenged.
Features include Cannon, Fugue, Fantasia and Fugue (by far the most
challenging of the lot), overture to 'H.M.M. Pinafore', Three Spirituals,=

Amazing Grace, Toreador Song, Hallelujah Chorus (our favorite and our
audience's too), Largo, Go Tell It On The Mountain, and Here We Come
A-Wassailing'.  We have played all of these songs and performed most of
them.  They are a delight to both the players and the audience.  I would
reccomend all of these to and Middle School brass band.  High School may
find it a bit lacking in challenge.  I assume here that the players have
played at least 2 years by the end of middle school.  The christmas book
is $3.95, the intermediate is $4.95 and the advanced is $7.00.  They are
published by:

Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation
7777 West Bluemound Road PO box 13819
Milwaukee, WI   53213

although you should be able to get them from your local music store.
Each song features a summary of meaning and a tips on the type of style
the song is meant for.  I cannot emphasise enough that these are
wonderful collections.  Enjoy!

Michael Hrivnak  -  horn lover   :)