Re: Newsgroups and the 'net

At 07:58 PM 4/29/96 -0700, Mike Wier wrote:
>Matt, could you flesh out your idea a bit more for those of us who are
>not completely up on all this internet stuff?  Specificly, what would
>a newsgroup do that the GREATmailing list we have can't do?  I hope I'm
>not the only brass bander who isn't sure what a newsgroup is, or how to
>get to one.

If you run Netscape, you will find access to Newsgroups in the
"Window/Netscape Newsgroups" menu. Otherwise you can run a dedicated
Newsreader program.
 There are about 30  thousand  Newsgroups, run by a loose international
collaboration, covering a wide range of interests.They are a public forum,
so there is no control over who can post a message. Browsing the news means
often reading conversations between individuals who use News rather than
point-to-point email to talk to each other, often on unrelated topics.  A
colleague founded a newsgroup for vision-related material (sci.med.vision).
It began well, but over 18 months the quality of posts has deteriorated for
this reason.
  Thanks to Nigel's efforts,  this list works perfectly for the
international brass-band fraternity as it is; I personally do not think
there would be sufficient demand for a public Newsgroup dedicated to
brass-band matters.

  If you have access to the web, you can read all about Internet News
(Usenet) at:
http://www.yahoo.com/News/Usenet/ (read the FAQs)

Hope this helps,

Philip Anderton