Re: NABBA Results

<---- Begin Included Message ---->
>From: Matt LaFontaine <mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Judging was rather consistent except for a few bands. Overall, I'd say the
>right decisions were made except, IMHO, the Honors section, but it's not
>my place to comment on that.
<---- End Included Message ---->

	There was quite a bit of controversy in the Honors Section. This issue
opens up a can of worms. The Old Dominion Brass Band won the division over the
Eastern Iowa Brass Band. Many of the members of the Dominion Band are military
musicians as the band is a joint effort between the Continental Army Band and
Old Dominion University. As a matter of fact, the Dominion band arrived in a
U.S. Army (Pershing's Own) bus - the one used by the Army Band that hosted the
competition 4 years ago at Ft. Meyers in Washington D.C.! The connection of
military and their players bring up the issue of professional players.
	NABBA rules state that a person can only make 70% (or is it 75%?) of
their total income as a performer. Apparently this is to keep professionals
out of the competition. There are problems. For example, the members of the
Canadian Brass are earning income from the sale of music, instruments and
other items. Add to it investment income. Probably this would account for at
least 30% of their income. According to NABBA rules, they would be eligable
for competition. Next, consider a young musician that may be playing 3
community orchestras making 2-3000 per year each. Add to it a few thousand
dollars for side jobs but no other income including that from investments. He
would not be eligable under NABBA rules. Granted, U.S. military pay is not
very much but this is how many members of the Dominion Band support
themselves. There seems to be a discrepency here!
	While it was great having a group such as the Dominion Brass Band at
the competition, is it really fair to compete against bands consisting of
members who come from various occupations in their respective communities and
have non-musicical jobs to support themselves? Could this be like the Olympics
where the former Soviet Union put together a hockey team consisting of members
of the Army that not only beat every other country (except in Lake Placid!)
but was beating professional teams from the National Hockey League?
	This is an issue that surely will be discussed at the next NABBA board
meeting.	Until that time, it may be a good idea for discussion on this
list. There are many subscribers from NABBA bands and other bands worldwide.
What do NABBA bands think of this? How do other countries handle this? What
suggestions can be made? This list is monitored by at least one NABBA board
member and perhaps he can share and thoughts that come up here with other
members of the NABBA board.
	I do not have anything against the Dominion Band and did not compete
against them (I am from the Illinois Brass Band - we were in the championship
division). Personally, I thought it was great that they were there but thought
there may be a point to be made that it may be unfair to other bands. Perhaps
it is time to open a new division of professional bands - I would love to hear
that!

Brian Frederiksen
brianf@xxxxxxx