hello

Hello fellow enthusiasts

As a newcomer to the mailing list a small introduction:-

My name is Mike Pickin, and I live in Hove, ( next to Brighton ) in East
Sussex, England. It is an area of the country without a great Brass Band
tradition, however there are several bands in the area. I work in the City
of London as a systems consultant within the insurance industry.

I currently play for the Brighton Silver Band who have recently been
promoted to the second section, despite a poor result at the recent regional
finals at Watford, and the recent loss of our conductor ( very recent news!!
). The band is a happy crew made up of a mixture of students, oldies and
generally some very friendly people.

I have played the cornet from about the age of 7, having been dragged into
my fathers junior band to make up the numbers. That was in Wales where I was
born, ( it seems so long ago ) from where, after graduating in computer
science, ( Polytechnic of Wales ) I moved to Gloucester then London, finally
retiring to Hove three years ago.

 I have been fortunate to have played with some very good bands in my short
playing career - Parc and Dare ( British Fuels Band ), the Upper Rhondda
Comprehensive School Band ( now the Treorchy Comprehensive School Band ),
Flowers Gloucester and Redbridge Brass (formerly London Electricity Redbridge).

I enjoy the social aspects of banding, and with moving around the country
with my work, am able to make new sets of friends with a common interest
outside of the work environment.

This weekend I am travelling to Manchester ( Bolton - Albert Hall ) for the
British Open
qualifier - I will e-mail the results when I get back on Sunday evening
unless someone gets them in before me.

Unfortunately I will be out of the country for the Cambridge, All England
Masters competition.

I do not at present have my own home page set up ( message UNDER CONSTRUCTION
DISPLAYED only at WWW.PAVILION.CO.UK/USERS/MADMIKE/ ) but I will keep you
posted of any developments ( I am MAD MIKE due to the initials of my name -
Michael Anthony David Pickin, although some of my mates recon I'm MAD as
well, I also go by the name of Taff (very unoriginal) ).

Do any of you have home pages worth a visit? Go on,  e-mail me the URL's so
I can surf around the brass fraternity

Cheers

MAD MIKE
madmike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx