Re: Brass Band Newsgroup

>I find the mailing list a much more convenient system and I must
>congratulate >Nigel on its success and also thank him for all the hard
>work he must put into >maintaining the list.

I must agree with Don. This list is very convenient. I also have the fear
that another USENET group would have the effect of splitting our
respondents unnecessarily.

Perhaps a better course would be to advertise the list more widely. The
best way to do this is to have a web page with "brass band" in its URL
and/or containing frequent references to, "brass bands". Such a site would
contain details on how to subscribe to this list. The site would be
registered with the various internet search engines. Thus anyone searching
for such references would immediately be pointed to this list.

There are probably several brass bands with web pages already. In fact, my
band, Warringah Concert Brass, already has a rudimentary web page (which I
must get round to upgrading soon). One problem is that most such sites will
probably be part of an enthusiast's personal account with an ISP, and have
a rather cryptic URL address. It is possible to specifically ask your sysop
to include "brassband" in the URL.

More to the point; let's "band" together to get our representative
organisations (in my case the Band Association of NSW) to set up web sites.
It doesn't have to cost a lot of money to set up a site if we draw on the
expertise of the thousands of "bandies" who are on the internet or who have
computer experience.

Anyone out these with a suitable web page?

Darrall Cutting