Groundbreaking concert?

Hi everyone,

I just thought that I should give you an update about our plans to meet.

A friend of mine in London told me about a Cybercafe where we could possibly
meet, and I 'phoned them last week.  To cut a long story short, they said that
they could set up a web page, and broadcast the band live onto the www, using
CuSeeme software.  This would mean that the band would be seen live on a web
page, with a new frame every 30secs., and the music would be heard in "Real
time". The people from the cafe were interested in hosting us, and closing
down the cafe for our event, to let us have a private party there.  They said
that they could get it a mention in some Internet magazines etc. which would
give them some publicity. (Not to mention us getting in the Band press!)

This would make history, as it would be the first time that a brass band has
played live onto the net, and also our friends on the list who are not able to
come would be able to watch us, and send emails to the cafe for us. The cafe
think that it will be a first for live music on the net in England, too.

I do hope that we can bring this plan off.  There are one or two legal
problems to overcome as regards the Performing Rights Society and the
entertainment licence of the cafe.   The problems arise because:

1.  The Performing Rights Soc. cannot at present collect money from internet
performances. (But they did say that that could not stop us playing)

2.  The cafe does not have an entertainment licence (But there again they do
not need one if it is a private gathering)

3.  They just don't know what to do about 1. and 2. !

Rest assured, I have been in touch with a Lawyer, who has helped us a great
deal, and has given me loads of information with which to fill up Nigel Hornes
mailbox.  It is the first time that the P.R.S. have had to deal with a case
like this, and we have to be sensible and make sure that our activities are
not offending anyone. I think that we are nearly there though.

Nigel Horne, Angela Tregaskes and myself are going to look at the Cybercafe in
question next Wednesday, and we'll keep you informed as to how we get on.

We now have players in every section of the band, and I'll publish a more up
to date list in a few days. Nigel Horne has kindly made mention of the
gathering on the F.A.Q. for the list, and put a link in from his homepage to
my email address, so new list members don't get left out. It will be on
Sunday, October 20th at 10am, hopefully in the cybercafe - Address will be
given once we know it's a definite arrangement.

If you find that you can join in, please email me. If you have a suggestion
for us all to consider, please put it on the list.

We could be making history - Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone

Nigel Wears