Re: WORLD RECORDS

> > >Does anyone know of any other world records (Guinness Book of
> > >Records) for activities connected with brass bands ?
> >

> I was involved in an attempt to stage the world's largest marching
> band in Bolton about 10 years ago when I was at school. Harry Mortimer
> conducted. I don't think the attempt was successful, mainly because of
> the atrocious weather conditions, however we may well have  had a
> legitimate claim to be the worlds wettest marching band. Does anyone
> else remember this event. I think I still have the souvenir tie
> somewhere.

I'm curious how large your marching band was.  I participated in one
that I thought was going for some kind of record.  It was called
"The Spirit of '76" Parade Band, it was a massed band of all of the
Fairfax County, Virginia, High School Marching Bands, and we paraded
in Washington, DC for the Inauguration of Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew
in 1973 (some claim to fame, right?).  Anyway, it was supposed to have
actually had 1,976 bandsmen, and we practiced on an airport runway.
As I recall, the front and the back of the band were no where close to
each other in terms of the music, but it didn't matter, since the people
closest to each other in the parade were generally together and the
parade observers were only hearing the section of fifteen-to-twenty
rows going past them at any one time.

It was an experience I won't soon forget!

Connie Varner,
Triangle Brass Band,
North Carolina, USA