This List

Over the last few weeks there have been a number of postings to the wrong
address, illegal commands to the list/arcsever etc. So here's a reminder of
the FAQ for this mailing list:

Welcome to the brass band mailing list!

This is a long mail item, please read it all. If you've seen it before still
give it a quick scan as items are added all the time.

DO NOT THROW THIS MAIL AWAY.

This mail is sent to all new users, and twice a year to all existing users.

Last change: 25/5/96.

Rules:

1) All articles to be relevant to followers of the banding scene. If you're
   a violin, clarinet, trumpet player or play another non-brass band instrument,
   or if you don't play a musical instrument at all you are still of course
   welcome, however please be careful to keep your posting on subject. If you're
   unsure what a brass band is either mail the keeper or browse the entry for
   brass bands in the Oxford Dictionary of music.
2) Absolutely no flaming. Although political correctness is easily taken too
   far, please remember that your posting will be read by people all over the
   world who may have vary different backgrounds to you.
3) Articles for submission should be sent to brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
4) Signatures to be no more than 4 lines or include any graphics.
5) Any quotes should be at the *top*, not the bottom, of responses and
   shouldn't be more than 50% of the posting size.
6) For further information on the list, including information on how to
   unsubscribe and how to receive the list in digest format, send a mail to
   "listserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" containing the word HELP in the body.
7) All submissions are archived. For information e-mail
   "arcserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" containing the word HELP in the body.
   Archives are also available via the WWW page. See below.
8) Any bounced mail items and I'll have to remove you. So that it's not
   without notice I'll let your postmaster know. If you suddenly stop getting
   messages please contact me because I may have had to remove you and
   failed to find\guess the name of anyone at your site to let you know
   what I'm doing.
9) If you're going away on a long holiday or your machine's name is about
   to be renamed, or anything is likely to happen which may cause some
   difficulty getting the mail through to you please unsubscribe. You can
   always resubscribe later and access, via the arcserver, any items you
   may have missed.
10)Feel free to contact the list keeper njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, for any
   reason.
11)To avoid confusion please keep to the following names for the instruments:
   Tenor Horn, Baritone, Euphonium and Bass, not Alto Horn, Tenor Horn,
   Baritone and Tuba.
12)Feel free to send a message of introduction to the list.
13)listserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and arcserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx are
   automatic mailboxes, so don't try to enter into a conversation with them!
14)Do not enable 'return-receipt-to:', or 'confirm-reading-to' headers or
   anything similar when posting to the list, the confirmations will often
   be posted to the list rather than to you.
15)A WWW page for this list is under development. Access is not available 24
   hours a day, however you are welcome to visit when it is on-line at
   http://smsltd.demon.co.uk. The best time to visit is the during UK daylight
   hours of the weekend. Any comments are welcome. You may be able to access
   the page at other times by using an http proxy. Demon customers can find
   out more information about proxies at 'http://www.demon.co.uk', others
   can find out more at 'http://www.hensa.ac.uk/www-cache'. If your band runs
   a WWW page contact me for cross reference details.
16)Members of the list are aiming to meet over the weekend of the nationals
   in London on 20/10/96 at 10:00 October. The aim is to get together a
   scratch band which will be 'broadcast' in real-time on the WWW. E-mail
   Nigel Wears, nwears@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, for further details.

Advert:

Nigel Horne, the keeper of this list, is available as both a conductor and
band tutor for permanent positions and for one off concerts, contests,
rehearsals or arrangements. He also has a wide range of arrangements for all
abilities, all of which are available both direct and through appointed
agents, and can let you have a catalogue upon request. All subscribers receive
one free arrangement. Send your e-mail address to me at njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and I'll post you a catalogue.

The D.U.T. Yorkshire Imperial Band (Yorkshire Imps to our friends) is available
for bookings throughout the UK and the rest of the world. As the recent winners
of the Spennymoor contest they are one of the leading bands in the field. For
details contact njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vacancy List:
	This list is periodicly posted to the following mailing lists:
		Brass Band
		Tuba-Euphonium
		Trombone
		Brass
	to the following Fidonet echos:
		Music
	and to the following newsgroups:
		rec.music.classical.performing
		alt.music.band-director
		uk.music.misc
		rec.music.makers.band.

	For the most up to date list visit http://smsltd.demon.co.uk/vacant.htm.

	To advertise a vacancy here send details to njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in the form:

Band Name, Location, Section\Grading, Vacancies, Contact Name, E-mail address,
any other information.

D.U.T. Yorkshire Imperial Band:
	Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
	Championship Section
	First class cornet player
	Nigel Horne
	njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Black Dyke Mills Band:
	Queensbury, West Yorkshire, UK.
	Championship Section
	Percussionist, kit playing essential
	Les McCormack
	lmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Uckfield Concert Brass
	Uckfield, East Sussex, UK
	1st Section National, Championship Section, SCABA
	First Class Cornet Players
	Andy Wooler
	100645.1446@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Glossop Old Band:
	Glossop, Derbyshire, UK
	First Section
	Front row cornet
	Don Cooper
	cardpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Weston Silver Band:
	Toronto, Ontario, Canada
	NABBA Championship Section
	Solo Cornet, Percussion
	Graham Young
	celbras@xxxxxxx

New Direction Brass (provisional name):
	Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK
	Low\Mid brass ensemble
	Baritone, Euphonium
	Nigel Horne
	njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Kaikorai Brass:
	Dunedin, South Island, NZ
	Section B
	M.D., Solo Cornet, Repiano, Percussion
	Alwyn Frost
	frostys@xxxxxxxx

Solent Brass
	Southampton, Hampshire, UK
	Section 3
	Euphonium, front row cornet, tenor horn
	Jim Renshaw
	jhr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fulham Brass Band
	Hammersmith, London, UK
	Section 4
	Basses (Eb & BBb) & Cornets (back row) & 2nd Baritone
	Angela Tregaskes
	Angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Motor City Brass Band
	Livonia, Michigan, USA
	Honours Section N.A.B.B.A.
	BBb bass & percussionist.
	John Aren
	motorbrass@xxxxxxx

Fulbourn & Teversham RBL Band
	Cambridge, UK
	Section 4
	Percussion(x2) & Cornet (back row)
	Ian Phillipps
	ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Crystal Palace Brass Band
	Crystal Palace, London, UK
	Section 3 (National); Section 1 (S.C.A.B.B.A.)
	Requires Basses (Eb & Bb - one of each)
	Angela Tregaskes
	Angela@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Weston Silver Band
	Toronto, Ontario, Canada
	NABBA Championship Section
	Front Row Cornet, 2nd Percussion
	Graham Young
	celbras@xxxxxxx

The Shirley Band
	Birmingham, West Midlands, UK
	Championship Section
	Front Row cornet, 2nd trombone, Bb bass player
	Stephanie Fletcher
	S.Fletcher@xxxxxxxxxx

Wantage Silver Band
	Wantage, Oxon, UK
	First Section
	Kit or tuned percussionist; Cornets (front or back rows); Bb Bass
	Martin Taylor
	m.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cholsey Silver Band
	Cholsey Nr. Wallingford, Oxfordshire, UK
	Fourth Section
	Front Row Cornets and other positions for competent players
	John Nolan
	J.Nolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Epsom & Ewell Silver Band,
	Epsom, Surrey, UK
	1st Section
	Solo Horn
	Andrew Wilson
	wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alliance & Leicester Kibworth Band
	Kibworth, South Leicestershire, UK
	Championship Section
	First class Solo Euphonium, Horn and Percussionist
	Peter Harris
	peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yorkshire Traction Band:
	Wakefield, West Yorkshire, UK
	Section 1
	First class cornet and tenor horn players
	Anthony Craven
	anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

FAQ:
	(only one so far!)

1) If you're interested in finding some recording of brass band music you
may like to start with Egon Publishers Ltd., Royston Road, Baldock, Herts,
SG7 6NW, phone 01462 894498, fax 01462 894660.

This is an unpaid advert from SGToM in Canada and is for information:

BRASS BAND CDS !!!
BRASS BAND MUSIC !!!
BRASS BAND DIGITAL RECORDING, EDITING AND MASTERING !!!
"Simply Brass" is a world-wide distributor of brass band music and
recordings. Join our mailing list and receive a copy of our free catalogue.
SGToM PRODUCTIONS specializes in digital recording, editing and mastering of
brass bands.
For more info and/or to join our mailing list please contact me, Paul, at
the following address.
SGToM PRODUCTIONS
1267 Havendale Blvd.
Burlington, ON
Canada. L7P 3S2
tel:905-335-6811
fax:905-335-5130
E-mail:  ralvarez@xxxxxxxxxx
I look forward to hearing from you and I welcome you to the brass band list.
Paul H. Alvarez

[ I am currently arranging with Paul to be an agent for my arrangements,
  you can contact him if you prefer - NJH ]

--
Nigel Horne. Conductor, Arranger, Band Tutor.
Internet: njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or hornen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx