Whit Friday

As threatened, Wantage Silver went to the Whit Friday contests with a
slightly "scratch" band (including four or five of our Youth Band players,
and a couple of ringers, producing an oversize band, which we edited
as required).
The weather was excellent - better than last year, if I'm not mistaken.
One thing I did notice was the relative lack of queues at the venues we
visited - was it just the time of day, or was there a low turnout of bands?
We visited Greenfield, Uppermill, Dobcross, Delph and Denshaw, playing
"Imperial Echoes" on the march and "The President" on the field. I didn't
get accosted by anyone from the list as far as I remember, although a
couple of people seemed to know roughly where Wantage was :-). I
think this demonstrates how easy it is to miss people while tearing
around, since others seem to have visited the same venues.
Next time round, if we stick to our habit of a fish and chip stop in Delph
(this chippie stayed in one piece, as far as I'm aware :-)), maybe some of
us could meet up at the White Lion or other suitable point at a given time
of the evening?
All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable time was had by us all, even the very
young ones, who must have been totally zonked when we got back at
2.30 a.m.
Martin Taylor