RE: Sheer madness

Hi, all!

Nothing crazy about it!  I rather dislike playing studies like Arban or
Clarke, but I love playing transcriptions of oboe, flute, and violin pieces,
like Maurice Andre's arrangements.  I also will sneak some of my flutist
wife's music and work on it.  Bach's well-tempered klavier music as well as
the Anna Magdelena notebook have melodies that are wonderful flexibility
exercises.  In my experience, there is nothing quite like an oboe sonata like
the Benedetto Marcello for a technical workout.  ;-)

I played in a production of Sweeny Todd about 10 years ago where all of the
parts were covered by a synth, bass, drums, flute and trumpet.  We each had a
copy of the score, which we marked with highlighter the parts that we would
play.  I played mainly oboe, english horn, french horn, and some clarinet
parts, as well as the trumpet parts.  All of this on C trumpet.  Now THAT was
a work out.  Hardly got to see much of the show, for playing too much.  I
understand that a couple of years later, Northwestern University put on the
show using our "arrangement".  Cool show, by the way!

Later!

Guy Clark
guyclark@xxxxxxx
principal trumpet, Northbrook Symphony Orchestra
principal cornet, Illinois Brass Band
etc...