New Subscriber Alert

Hello you Banders

I'm John Goodwin and I play principal cornet for the Egham Band in Surrey
UK.

ABOUT THE EGHAM BAND
========================
The Egham band is over 100 years old and an active community band as well as
competing
regularly in various competitions in the South of England. Recently we have
had a string of successes
which has been nice. Many of the players are graduates
from Royal Holloway College, University of London and it seems that we boast
more than the
average numbers of PhDs amongst the playing membership. Doesn't help us play
better though ;-/

The band owns a nice large rehearsal room together with full club
facilities, including a bar.
This makes rehearsals on Monday and Friday a social as well as a musical
occasion.

We have a number of projects to get into more teaching, start a junior band
again, and so on.
We've applied for funds from the UK National Lottery to help us do this.

And in our centenary year we'd REALLY LIKE to do a tour somewhere. For many
years the band
went to Germany every year, but the exchange rate situation killed that off
a while ago.
If anyone is interested please email me.

We also need good players to join us, especially a baritone, some second row
cornets, and also a bass or two.
You will get a warm welcome!

One day soon there will be a WWW home page, once this crisis of overwork
passes....

ABOUT ME
==========
I started to play the trumpet at seven years old, and seemed to find it
easy.
Attended the Guildhall School of Music as a Junior Exhibitioner at the age
of 11.
Eventually made it to Principal Trumpet of the National Youth Orchestra of
Great Britain,
the best training I could possibly have got.
The NYO tutor was the late great Ernie Hall, one of the best trumpet players
who ever lived.
More NYO fun included playing in a couple of Prom concerts in the Albert
Hall.
Doing the Janacek Sinfonietta at a Prom was the best fun a trumpet player
can have!
Went to Royal Holloway to study Physics and Music, whilst being taught by
Philip Jones, John Millar, John Wallace and others.
Played professionally whilst doing M.Sc and Ph.D degrees (nearly getting
kicked off the courses for doing too much
touring with the Royal Ballet and Ballet Rambert and the Welsh National
Opera and London Sinfonietta, etc.)
Also had some fun doing function bands (London Tijuana Band) and a bit of
trad jazz.

And so it goes on NEVER playing in a brass band until I had been playing
over 30 years when one day
I got a call, did the gig going oompah in the park one sunny sunday
afternoon, enjoyed it and stayed.
Today as well as the band to get a bit of variety I also do orchestral gigs,
pit work, and play in a Soul Band horn section,
which is the perfect antidote to a hard day at work.

Looking forward to some good discussions on this list

Best of luck and a fair wind to all.

goodwinj@xxxxxxxxxx