Re: Brass Band and Xylophone

My Dad, John Wears built up something of a reputation in the Salvation Army
world as a one of the featured soloists with the Kettering Citadel Band, on
Xylophone.

I've mentioned to him about this thread, and he has given me some titles:

Track 3
On the track
The Flyer
The 2 Imps (Xylophone duet)
Hammer 'em up
Sparks

Some of these were written by a guy called Kenneth Alford (I don't know which)
He says that the best chance of finding the band arrangements is by writing to
Boosey and Hawkes.  There is a man at Kettering Salvation Army who wrote some
stuff for my Dad.  He's called George Grainger.  One that I remember is a big
band setting of "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" which was quite impressive,
with loads of semiquaver work in the Xylo with a "Stop chorus" thing going on
in the band (i.e. the band playing a crotchet chord per bar) in a one of the
variations.  George has written 3 or 4 things, but they are all to do with
S.A. choruses.  If you are interested in them, please email me, and I'll find
out if he wants to give them away/sell them.

My cousin, Clive Wears is a one of the soloists with Rigid Containers band on
Xylophone, and he, presumably may be a contact for you.  If you email me I can
pass his number on, but he seems busy at the moment as he's getting married
soon.  I havn't seen him for weeks (And neither have Rigid by all accounts!!)

I once saw a band feature a Xylophonist (I can't remember who), but he had
illuminous sticks, and the lights were dimmed, so it looked like two bright
green balls of light flying around - especially because there was a lot of
stick crossing, semiquavers, 4 stick chords etc.  It was brilliant to watch.

Linking together 2 threads - my Dad has a high pitch Xylophone at home - there
can't be many of those still left - It's about as much use as a chocolate fire
guard!

Cheers,

Nigel Wears