Britain's oldest band?

Whenever I visit my in-laws I always make contact with the Malton White Star
Band, in North Yorkshire.   They will proudly tell you that they are the
oldest band in Britain, now whilst I have no reason not to believe them,
I seem to remember a couple of other bands in the Yorkshire/Lancashire
region claiming the same thing at some point.

However, it is certainly very old and it is also in a bad way.   Despite
a glorious history on the contest scene, it is now 'un-registered' and
rehearsals see only a handful of devotees turn up.   There is a very strong
youth band in the next village, which could be of benefit to them, but
sadly the band are badly situated, with York and Kirbymoorside (sorry if
this is mis-spelled) within very easy reach, and they all contest.

When Malton played in the park one evening, I was delighted with the sound.
But the conductor had to inform me that most of the players were from
other bands.

It strikes me as sad that we should let an organisation with so much history,
tradition and pride, collapse and fight for its very existence.   The
conductor is devoted to the band, has his brother on bass, his two sons
on trombone and baritone, and his grand-daughter on cornet.   I feel sure
that without this family the band would have died off years ago.   I'm
not using this as an advert for them, but if anyone is in the North
Yorkshire area andfancies a blow, I am sure you would be welcome.   I will let
anyone interested have the details.

Thank you very much for your time.

Andy Wilson