Test pieces and such...

Being a brass bander for only a year or so, my opinions might not be that
valid, but here goes anyways...

It's kind of hard to say how I feel about test pieces. I've borrowed a few
CD's from the library recently, a couple of Black Dyke, and I _assume_
they have some test pieces on them.

Personally, I've found these CDs rather enjoyable. Yet what I must say is
this; pieces such as the Largo mvt. from New World Symphony (Sellers
Engineering Band) and pieces like Diversions on a Bass Theme and
Harmonious Variations on a Theme of Handel were substantially more
enjoyable than what I _assume_ to be test pieces.

But I must also say that songs like Curnow's 'Trittico' and Stephen
Bulla's 'Chorale and Tocatta' which was comissioned for the Dutch
Brass Band Championships in 1992, I believe (which I had the pleasure of
playing for NABBA '96) are also _very_ good pieces to listen to.

It all kind of depends on the taste of the listener. But I must say that
comissioned testr pieces are often challenging enough to reqiure very good
ensemble sound and technical prowess, which can keep the level of
execution among bands high and in turn make them more 'listenable' to the
average person than a sloppily played tune.

Regards,
Matt LaFontaine

-=- Matt LaFontaine (mattl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) -=-
 \     Dublin Scioto HS Marching Band Trombone      /
   \       Dublin Scioto HS Varsity Tennis	/
    -=- All Star Brass Band Varsity Euphonium -=-