Re: Test pieces and such...

> Personally, I've found these CDs rather enjoyable. Yet what I must say is
> this; pieces such as the Largo mvt. from New World Symphony (Sellers
> Engineering Band) and pieces like Diversions on a Bass Theme and
> Harmonious Variations on a Theme of Handel were substantially more
> enjoyable than what I _assume_ to be test pieces.

 This proves a very good point on the subject of original compositions for brass
band.  It is a shame that most original works for band now carry the label of
test pieces.  The point I can make here is this: Diversions on a Bass Theme IS a
test piece, yet Matt, who is obviously a very competent musician, although
inexperienced when it comes to the brass band, has ranked it amongst the works
of some of the greatest composers who ever lived.  When a person so musically
aware as this can take the music at face value, unaware of the commisionings and
contests that led to the work's existence, listen to it, and decide it is
worthy of such status, then we as band musicians know for sure that there is
every reason to be proud of the wonderful, extensive repertoire of original
pieces at our disposal.
 I daresay Holst, Elgar and Howells all felt the same when they jumped at the
opportunity to compose for band in the earlier part of this cenury.

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.