Re: Test Pieces

>Our band probably wouldn't stay together if we only played light summer
>music.  We need the challenge of new difficult test piece music to
>stimulate the development of the group.  I have great difficulty in
>understanding why anyone playing in brass bands would not like to play the
>best of the test pieces.

When NABBA began 15 years ago the standard of the bands was not very high.
Although there are many fewer contests in North America the standard of
playoing has increased every year. Our own band has  used the discipline of
contesting to rasie our standards.
One of the most appealing aspects of brass band is that the standard of
music is better than that of concert bands. There is more great music to
play because of the test pieces that were commissioned.
We have music by many great composers because of this. Who cares if the
Moorside Suite or the Severn Suite were test pieces . You can use then for
that but they are wonderful music first. Lets keep the test pieces. Because
we have worked on test pieces our band now rips through music we used to
have to rehease for hours. Five years ago we couldn't play the first page
of Year of the Dragon . Now we can read a piece like that down. Lets not
let brass bands slide into the morass af drowsy concert bands.

Graham Young, Trumpets and Soprano Cornet
Weston Silver Band,Symphony Hamilton, Celebration Brass
celbras@xxxxxxx      Hamilton ,Ontario phone# provided at e-mail request
Amiga3.1-MacOS7.1-Dos6.22-WIn3.1 in one box-- Intel Outside! Motorollin!