Re: RE: Test Pieces

> At the time of the original proposal for the band and the concert, it was
> suggested that this years National finals test piece be played.  That idea
was,
> I thought, finally rejected in order to be able to accommodate a wide range of
> abilities.

You're completely right there.

> Also we should not forget that this originally started as a
> vehicle for all those who communicate on this list to meet for a social and
> have a blow together.

Right again.  It seems that over the past week or so, we have lost sight a
little of what the cyberband is going to represent, myself included.

> For my part, I make the same offer that I did when the original discussion
> took
> place, namely that if the majority of the players are really only going to be
> satisfied by playing music that would be too difficult for the likes of me,
> then
> that is o.k.  I will just bow out of the band and join you all for the beer.

Harry, I'm sure that's the last thing that anyone wants.  We are not trying to
impress any top conductors or bands with our sound or maginificent technical
ability.  What we are trying to do though, is make sure that people in the brass
band world know this is happening...that a group of musicians from all over the
world are coming together to make music through the medium they all know and
love...the brass band.  As such, I feel it is important that we do not play pop
arrangements the whole time.  As this is the first time a brass band will be
heard on the Internet, we need to show the 'non-believers' that we do have a
worthwile repertoire, and I think we really do need to play something original
for brass band.  Of course, it would have been nice to get something to really
get our teeth into, but there simply isn't time.  There are plenty of concert
pieces out there by lots of composers...Goff Richards for example, writes a lot
of light concert music for band, and there must be at least one march that we
all know!!
 I think the thread on test pieces has now run its course.  We should go back to
the matter in hand...our programme for October.

Best wishes,
--
Tim Morgan, Bass Trombone, Woolley Pritchard Sovereign Brass.

PS - It's a shame Steve Bedder's gone home...I'm sure he'd have had plenty to
say on the subject! :)