Re: Test pieces

Philip Anderton 8/7/96 asks

>what is the
>difference between a crotchet ("whole note" for the USA) in 4/4 time (tempo
>crotchet = 60) and a minim in 4/2 time (tempo minum = 60)? If there is no
>difference, why use the latter?

You're right, there's no difference at all between

(1) a crotchet (quarter note) in 4/4 (tempo crotchet = 60) and

(2) a minim    (half note)    in 4/2 (tempo minim = 60).

There *is* a reason why you use 4/2 in preference to 4/4, however.

If the beat is fairly slow in 4/4, as in this example, there are likely to be
sections containing lots of fast notes: semis, demis and even hemis (16th,
32nd and 64th notes in Usaian).

Writing the *same music* in 4/2 would need quavers, semis and demis
(8th, 16th and 32nd notes).  This is considered easier to write and easier to
read by many musicians.

Of course the problem is that those who have trouble sorting out the demis
and hemis are also thrown by the sight of a 4/2 time signature, so there's
little real benefit.  That's why it's rarely used, I suppose.

Also, remember that in vocal music, quavers, semis etc (8th & 16th notes) are
shown as detached notes (not beamed together) on separate syllables.  It gets
hard on the eyes after a few pages.  That may be why hymn tunes, for example,
are written more often in 4/2 than instrumental pieces.