2nd Concert

-- [ From: Penny Dodd * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

What a Success!!!!  Our fledgling group had concert #2 last evening as
part of a local city's Sunday in the Park  program.  Some things went
wonderfully and some were, shall we say, unfortunate.

First, the unfortunate.  The band shell has no lights. I spoke to the
park department and they assured me that there was no problem, they
would have free standing lights (just in case) and we would not need to
bring stand lights.  We would have two mikes.  The program was to begin
with a choral group from 6 to 7 PM.  Well, they didn't even get started
until 6:35.  By the time they sang all 13 of their numbers (yes 13) we
were getting antsy.  We couldn't even start setting up until 7:45.
Everyone pitched in getting everything just right (even to the hanging
of a Union Jack next to our Stars and Stripes on the back wall).  Well,
you guessed it, by the time we finished our 9 tunes, we were just about
out of day light and no free standing lights. The audience wanted an
encore but we couldn't give it to them.  Oh yes and we only had one
mike instead of two which made the Euph duet a little one sided.

Now for the good stuff.  Our substitute director, David Evans, was
fantastic.  Our announcer, Christopher Mallet (from the SA), was
marvelous and added that special "British" touch.  The band was
outstanding and the audience was very generous and appreciative.  We
had a 50/50 drawing (tickets were sold for $1 each or 6 for $5 - half
the take going to the band and the other half to the lucky ticket
holder) the band ended up with $122.  Not too bad for an hour of fun
and good music.

And the lessons learned.
1.  Try never to share a concert with another organization.
2.  Double and triple check that all arrangements are understood and
carried out.
3.  Always take stand lights when there might be a possibility of
running out of daylight.

The program we played was similar to our 1st concert - we substituted a
couple of tunes ( Firebell Polka by Strauss and 76 Trombones by Willson)
 that we felt would be more enjoyable to a park audience.

Penny Dodd
Golden State BBB