Concert/contest stories

Concert Disasters

These stories do not quite compare with those presented so far in this
thread, but as a matter of interest:

1. In 1992 I suffered a collapsed intervertebral disc, which meant I could
not stand or sit for more than 40 seconds without an excruciating pain
forming down my right leg. I spent ten weeks mainly prone during this
episode. The only cure was surgery, which fortunately was successful
(relatively). The problem was that the National Championships were on in
Sydney three weeks before surgery was due, and we had only two Bb basses,
one of whom was me. We were playing "Royal Parks" for our own choice, and so
it was imperative to have both basses present for the contest. At the same
time our principle cornet was having surgery for another ailment. The
contest was three days after her operation.
	 We both appeared in the contest. Joanne did well despite her recent
wound, and I played my Bass while propped-up in a bean-bag. Others were kind
enough to carry the Bass to and from the stage. We were National Champions
in C-grade that year.

2. Some years later, we were playing Rhapsody in Brass for our Own Choice in
the State contest. Near the end of the first movement, one of the valves of
our 1st Euphonium's instrument became jammed. It was unfixable without
tools. He immediately leapt up and ran off the stage, looking for a
replacement instrument. The first movement finished OK. All this was being
taped along with an adjudicators comments. The adjudicator finished his
comments on the first movement as we were still waiting for John to reappear
with a working instrument, before beginning the second movement. As the
seconds ticked by the adjudicator became a little unsure of what was
happening. The tape has comments like "Hmmm....I hope you are going to play
the second movement for me.." etc. Eventually John appeared with an
instrument provided by an obliging player from a rival band (now there's
band spirit for you). We finished the piece and thankfully the adjudicator
was not put-off by the episode as we won the contest.

Philip Anderton
Bb Bass
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney, Australia.