Brass Music at the Olympic Games

Hi y'all,

I saw this on the percussion newsgroup. You may find it interesting.

Michael Moore, who posted this, assures me that the programs will
definitely be broadcast in the UK.

I'm not a great sports fan, so the musical aspect of the Olympics
would have passed me by if I hadn't seen this.

Maybe we can pick up a few tips for *when* Manchester hosts the
Olympics :-)

-A Bulletin from the Atlanta Brass Society, Inc.-

Atlanta Symphony Brass Quintet and Brass and Percussion Sections of the
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Featured Live on NPRs Performance Today,
broadcast to 38 countries.

National Public Radio will present four Spirit of 96 concerts live at
Spivey Hall, south of Atlanta during the first four days of the Atlanta
Olympics. Broadcast to 38 countries, the programs featurea frequent
Performance Today ensemble, the Atlanta Symphony Brass Quintet as the
house band, performing both alone and with other instruments. Many other
groups are also presented, including Frederika von Stade, Chanticleer, and
the Atlanta Chamber Players. The schedule is as follows:

Friday, July 19- live time, 9-11 AM (uplinked to your local NPR station
for broadcast later that day): ASBQ performs Olympic commission, Allusions
by John Cheetham  and a movement from Verne Reynolds Suite for Brass
Quintet, along with a quintet version of the PT theme and several
fanfares.

Saturday, July 20- live time 11AM - 1 PM: ASBQ performs an original
fanfare and a civil war suite, composed of works by Stephen Foster and
GWE Friederich (American Brass Band Journal.)

Sunday, July 21- live time 11AM - 1 PM: Michael Moore, Princ. Tuba with
the ASO, conducts the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra Brass and Percussion
Sections. Sam Pilafian will play tuba.
Selections: Surprise PT theme, Fanfare for Atlanta (used in the Opening
Ceremonies) by Mark Watters, Buglers Dream/Olympic Hymn medley, 1984
Olympic Fanfare and Theme, Strauss- Vienna Philharmonic Fanfare, Summon
the Heroes (1996 Olympic Theme), and James Newton Howards Grand Canyon
Fanfare (perhaps the best fanfare composed to date.)

Monday, July 22- live time 9-11 AM: Atlanta Symphony Brass Quintet and Guests:
More fanfares; If it Aint Baroque, Fix It  and Swingshift from Something
Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, with Paula Peace,
Piano- commissioned for the ASBQ by Atlanta composer, Greg McLean; Grand
Coeur Dialogue by Gigout,with Richard Morris, organ- arranged by Rich
Mays,

We hope you enjoy these historic broadcasts. Check your local National
Public Radio affiliate station for times in your area, or check the
Performance Today web site for more info (and possible audio clips.)
 http://www.npr.org/programs/PerformanceToday/pt.html

Tom Sheridan
Percussionist
Failsworth Band