Concert Disasters

OK, all of these "true confessions" have provoked another one:

Last fall, the Triangle Brass Band of North Carolina was scheduled
to perform a concert at an outdoor amphitheatre in Cary, NC on
September 27 (a Saturday) at 7:00 pm.  Normally, late September and
October are quite beautiful in the US South-east -- clear skies and
moderate temperatures being the norm.  However, a nasty front came
through the area on that particular weekend and it rained and turned
very cold.  The wind whipped up and all outdoor events for that
day were cancelled.

The amphitheatre management was quite anxious that the concert be
re-scheduled, so we agreed to a Sunday, October 6th date and, due
to the possibility of losing the daylight too early, chose 3:00 pm
as our new concert time.  As luck would have it, Sunday, October 6th
was a positively lovely day -- sunny, cool but not cold, eveything
you could ask for in an outdoor concert date.  The band began
showing up, as instructed, at 2:15.  Soon we had all of the percussion
set up, chairs arranged, sound system ready to go.  Except for one
thing... no sign of our conductor.  We called his house and there was
no answer.  Hastily, we elected one of our many music educators to
assume the baton; fortunately, his part was doubled in the band, so
he could be spared from playing.  He hastily assembled a program
(having no scores he had to conduct from his 1st Baritone parts),
the band cranked up and it actually went quite well.  I honestly
don't think anyone in the audience knew that anything out-of-the-
ordinary had happened.

In the meantime, our conductor arrived home from his afternoon errands
and, wanting to double-check with someone on the directions to our 7:00 pm
concert, began calling various people in the band.  He was surprised
that no one seemed to be home.  Finally he reached one member's wife,
who informed him that, at this time, directions were probably
irrelevant...

May your worst disaster be no worse...

Connie Varner,
Triangle Brass Band