Concert Disasters

From: Robert Lynch, Eb Bass, Evening Post Onslow Band, Wellington, NZ

While on the Whit Friday marches a few years ago, with Banks's Brewery Band, I
was given the job of Bass Drum player. Before we got to the Oldham Athletic
football ground, some bandspeople had complained that they couldn't hear the
drum. I then gave a particularly loud double tap, and split the skin. The band
could barely march or play for laughing, the crowd were amused too, and wherever
we went after that I had the job of explaining what had happened.
	We'd borrowed the Bass Drum from the Salvation Army. It was my most
embarrassing moment in banding.