Re: New to list

Hello Everyone,

  As I am a newcomer to the brasslist, I'd like to take a few moments
of your time to introduce myself.  My name is Clyde E. Hunt, and I am
celebrating my 50th Anniversary of playing the trumpet.  Yes, I know,
trumpet is a no-no on this list, but please hear me out.
 I grew up listening to Black Dyke Mills,  Besses 'O The Barns, St.
Hilda's, and many others whose names I can't recite to you now (or
spell either, perhaps - please forgive!).  Oh yes, two of my heroes
were Harry Mortimer and Willy Lang(e)?  While the sounds are forever
etched in my mind, from the age of 8 yrs. to about 15,  I have neither
had the pleasure of playing in a brass band, nor even attending a
brass band contest.  In fact, I have been only one time in London - a
four hour lay-over before leaving for Amsterdam (while on tour with
Brooks Tegler's HOT JAZZ) allowed a quick pilgrimage to the tombs of
Henry Purcell, Jeremiah Clarke, William Croft, and Handel.)  For you
see, I was  raised in a tiny, little, town in Beloit, Ohio, USA.  But
still, I vividly remember the music; Queensbury March and The Hunt
were two of my favorites - 78 rpm records carefully packaged and sent
from "home" by Mr. Best's sister(s?), and the pictures of bands lined
up across the top of the piano at Mr. Best's home.
  I had had the good fortune of being sent to the home of one William
Booth Best (1879 - 1959) to begin the process of beginning to play the
trumpet. (Please remember that in 1946, in the States,  the
"handwriting was on the wall" insofar as the cornet was concerned.)
Mr. Best had emigrated to the USA from Hunwick, England, c. 1910
-1913,  and my best guess is that those old photographs atop the piano
(Crystal Palace, Covent Garden, I seem to remember) were probably from
the turn of the 19th Century.  "There, that's me, with the euphonium
and that's my brother Jack playing trombone".  And thus this stubborn,
opinionated, sometimes cantankerous, perfectionist, and always
brilliant teacher, shaped my musical life!
  I have been a professional trumpet player and teacher from an early
age.  But recently,  I finally purchased a used Getzen shephard crook
cornet on which I recorded the Arban 14 Characteristic Studies.  And
it made me smile when a  reviewer (ITG), writing about my more recent
recordings, Hunt Plays etc, etc.,   remarked that he "would have
preferred a less cornet-like sound" for the Brandt.  I guess once its
there, it never quite leaves!
  At any rate, I'm going to "hang-out" in order to try to figure out
how this amateur "banding" business really functions.  Thanks much,
all, for listening to my nostalgic "rambling".

I remain,
Clyde Edward Hunt

PS - I am delighted to announce that the Freckleton Band performed my
SHENANDOAH on a July 4, 1996 concert!
PSS - I wonder if anyone knows Mr. Best's nephew, E-flat cornetist
Ralph White?  (c. 60yrs. old?)

Cornetists especially - Please visit our site at:
http://www.erols.com/bflatmus
We have many unique recordings.