NSW East Coast Championships

The Hunter Regional Band Association held the Festival of the Bands and East
Coast of Australia Band Championships in the Newcastle Town Hall on Sunday
21st July 1996. This is a most enjoyable contest. Newcastle Town Hall is an
excellent venue with perfect acoustics for brass band performances. Most of
the bands are from the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie area. Some (like us) make
the 100 mile journey North to compete. There are two sections to the
Championship: Section 1 is A-grade and B-grade; Section 2 is C-grade and
D-grade. Each band has to play an own-choice test piece and a march. The
lower grades in each section are given handicap points of 5 for the own
choice test and 3 for the march. In the afternoon, the "Festival of the
Bands" includes a mini-concert  where places are awarded based on program
content and entertainment value.

The Championship results were:

Section 1
Band		       Test/100  March/50  Total
Waratah Mayfield      91	 43	 134
(Journey to Freedom/Ball)     A grade

Toronto & District      84.5     40	 124.5
 (Divertimento for Brass/Barry)     B grade

Blacktown City	   65.5     33	 98.5
(Vizcaya/ Vintner)   B grade

Warringah		  94.5     44	 138.5
(Paganini Variations/Wilby)   B grade

Section 2
Kahibah Bowling Club   72	37	 109
(The Land of the Ever Long/ Bantock)  C-grade

Cardiff Northlakes	   86.5    49	 135.5
(The Journeyman/ Steadman-Allen)  C-grade

The MIni Concert Results were:

1st   Waratah-Mayfield
2nd Cardiff North-Lakes
3rd Warringah Concert Brass

  While  technically  we won the contest, the 8 point handicap helped a lot!
We were very pleased to be placed reasonably close to Waratah-Mayfield, a
band which has consistently competed well in the National Championships in
A-grade. It was good to finally meet Mark Corben, having known him
previously  only through this mailing list!
  The contest/concert was very well organised, and we were all very warmly
welcomed.

Philip Anderton
Warringah Concert Brass Band
Sydney, Australia.