Concert Disasters

This isn't about a disaster, or even a concert, but when I saw Robert
Lynch from the Onslow band in Wellington write in with his story, I was
reminded of a trick we played on the Drum Major when I was in Onslow
band in 1974 (before your time Robert, but there are still several
members in the band who should remember it).

We had a marching practice early one cold Sunday morning for the pending
national championships.  No-one felt like marching at that hour,
especially since we had all been to a band party on the Saturday night.
We had a full front row of 6 trombones, four of which, if I recall
correctly, had been selected for the upcoming National Band of New
Zealand, so they all knew how to blow.  The word went round the band and
on the order to "Quick March", everyone except the trombones stood still
and played.  The troms and DM were about 60 yards up the 100 yard
straight before the DM caught on and turned around to look.  I suspect
the laughter from those who couldn't control themselves any longer
probably gave the game away.

Fortunately, he had a sense of humour but he still worked us harder than
ususal for the next 2 hours.

Roy Taylor			(email address: TAYLOR_ROY@xxxxxxxxxx)
Principal Euphonium
City of Dandenong Band