Concert Disasters

>One other quick thing, how many of us list
>Member are Bass Trombone players ???.

>ALL THE BEST
>MARK CORBEN
>BASS TROMBONE WARATAH-MAYFIELD BAND NSW AUSTRALIA

This reminded me of another one.

I am normally the first baritone player with Glenorchy City Concert
Brass, but because I play Bass Trombone in a big band, and because our
Musical Director likes the look of five trombones across the front of a
marching band, I usually get to play bass trombone in marching jobs and
competitions.

At the Australian National Championships in Melbourne in 1992 (?) our
band was in the traditional street march parade of bands down the main
streets of Melbourne. For those who don't know, Melbourne has trolley
trams through many of its main streets and the course of the march
(which is also part of the competition) was along a tram route. I was in
the position of right marker this time, and due to an unfortunate lining
up of the band, happened to be stumbing along right on top of the tram
line. I was also using my brothers trombone (he performs in a wheel
chair and for some reason can't abide marching).

We were just coming up to the turn in the street, and I got confused in
a tricky bit of the march, where I have to release the trigger and move
the slide. I got it the wrong way around, and sent the slide flying
along the tram line, bouncing end to end and coming to rest about ten
metres in front of me. We had been doing some particular training to
ensure that everybody held their slides high and straight (looks very
impressive) so the slide whistled past the ear of the Drum Major, nearly
giving him heart failure. I continued to play for a few notes before I
realised that I couldn't, and I pondered my predicament.

As luck would have it, the slide was directly in front of me and I was
able to bend down, pick it up, replace it in position (it was completely
unharmed), check my pace and take the very next step with the drill
adjudicator (who marks the pacing of the band by the right marker (me)
against everybody else's pacing).

The Drum Major of our main rivals (Ulverstone Municipal) happened to be
on the side of the road watching the whole thing and said it was one of
the most entertaining marching displays he had ever seen.

Rolf Miezitis
First Baritone
Glenorchy City Concert Brass