Re: Bb bass music

At 02:03 PM 7/23/96 +0100, you wrote:
>Can anyone help please?   I am interested in entering the world of solo
>contests, and wondered if anyone could give me any ideas on pieces of music
>to play for a Bb bass.   I am thinking more of the Slow Melody sections as
>Air-Varies fill me with dread.

Hi Andy,
  Some years ago I entered a local contest here. I played from a volume
specifically for Bb Bass and piano. It contained pieces such as the
"policemans song" from Pirates of Penzance (which I played). I tried to make
it very bombastic, and the adjudicator liked the style, so I didn't come
last! I prefer that sort of thing, but a friend enters solos playing those
fast cornet pieces like "Carnival of Venice". I find these impossible to
play clearly and am frightened at the prospect of trying in public. I will
check the publisher (the book is at home) and send you the details.

Phil Anderton
Warringah
Sydney Australia.