Re: Concert Disasters

When the North American Brass Band Association 1996 Championships were
awarded to the Weston Silver Band we immediately registered our event with
the Toronto Covention Board to check for any conflicting events.
All the plans were laid and bands from across North America were set to
attend. Hotels booked ,ajudicators hired etc etc etc

Four days before the event the City of Toronto informed our venue that
there would be an outdoor rock concert on the day of the contest and Gala
concert across the square from our venue and that all traffic in downtown
Toronto would be blocked off as part of some tree hugger mother earth
march! The venue management informed us that they had had to cancel events
when this had happened before because the sound from the rock bands
ovewhelmed the hall.

Panic! Followed by quick action by our band president,Bob Gray
conductor,Ron Clayson and other members including current president Alan
Black( and not just a little face to in their face visits ) secured another
and much better Hall for the event. Buses were laid on to get participants
from the hotels to the hall. Trucks were arranged to move equipment.The
city agreed to help with bus tranportation but neglected to confirm with
the bus company.Between 7 AM and 10 AM cabs were quickly provided until the
bus situation was fixed. By the time our band was to play (last) most of
were ready to go for a drink rather than contest but we achieved the best
result the band had ever had in NABBA contesting.

The contest went off successfully and a packed audience enjoyed the
Canadian Staff Band and trombone virtuoso Alain Trudel at one of the best
Gala concerts ever for NABBA. The hall originally booked would have been
standing room only with latecomers not able to fine a place.The "hall"
easily held the auience in comfort and with much better acoustics.

The best part was that the march flopped with only a few hundred instead of
the "thousands" expected, the rock concert was cancelled and the police
opened the roads.

Needless to say the beer at the reception was especially tasty.

Graham Young, Trumpets and Soprano Cornet
Weston Silver Band,Symphony Hamilton, Celebration Brass
celbras@xxxxxxx      Hamilton ,Ontario phone# provided at e-mail request
Amiga3.1-MacOS7.1-Dos6.22-WIn3.1 in one box-- Intel Outside! Motorollin!